5 Common Indicators You Need Furnace Repair in Cold Spring, NY
Posted on February 26, 2016 by admin in Heating
Most people know their furnace is the central heating source of their home. What most people don’t know are the signs that their furnace is in need of repair, which if undetected, could lead to even more bills in maintenance costs and a cold house. Our professionals a T. Webber want to share 5 signs that your furnace might need a check in before it’s too late.
- Poor Heat Production: This one is a no-brainer. If heat production in your home isn’t great, chances are it’s the central heating system of the house. Issues getting the unit started can also be signs that the furnace is getting old and in need of repair, as are issues with the thermostat not keeping up with its set temperature. If it’s cold, give us a call.
- Rising Energy Costs: Increased energy costs can easily be attributed to rising prices in fuel, but that might not always be the case. Like many appliances, furnaces become less efficient as they become older, leading to increased fuel usage and increased cost to run. If your energy bill and the price of fuel don’t seem to match up, it may be time to check your furnace.
- Making Strange Noises: It’s easy to turn a blind eye to strange sounds in an old house. Wood settling or timbers creaking is normal, but loud noises coming from your furnace is not. Noises to note coming from you unit are any sounds of metal scraping, loud pops when it turns on or high pitched squealing sounds while it’s in use. Any of these sounds can be signs of a furnace on the fritz and should warrant a call from a heating professional.
- Faulty Pilot Light: This sign is easily missed. The pilot light, which is a small flame used to ignite the burners in older furnaces, should always be on with a blue hue. A faulty pilot light can come in a few variations, whether it be burning a color other than blue or constantly going out, and may be a sign of something worse than just the loss of a small flame for your furnace.
- Sickness of Family Members: Although they can easily be confused with allergies or a cold, signs of carbon monoxide exposure amongst family members are a dangerous and silent sign your furnace needs repairing. Headaches, nausea and disorientation are just a few symptoms that your furnace is leaking carbon monoxide into your home, which could lead to terrible consequences if left unattended. If these symptoms occur, open windows immediately and call a heating professional as soon as possible to provide proper furnace repair.
If any or all of these indicators are present in your home, it’s time to call a hearing professional. Located in Spring, NY, our professionals here at T. Webber are happy to help heat your house safely.