There’s a lot you can do as a homeowner to keep your home’s plumbing system in good shape—just ask T.Webber, your trusted plumber in Pleasantville! And one of those things involves maintaining your drains so you don’t get drain clogs. After all, drain clogs are one of the most common problems we see. They’re both inconvenient and unhygienic; plus, they can cause ruptures in the pipes, which results in leaks and water damage. Yet with a bit of common sense, they can often be avoided.
Tips for Avoiding Drain Clogs
The thing about drain clogs is you never see them coming. That’s because the bulk of your plumbing system is hidden from view behind walls, below floors and underground. However, you need to be aware that drains, just like any other aspect of your home, need to be maintained properly. So here’s how to avoid drain clogs:
- Clean your drains weekly. Every week, pour a cup of baking soda into the drain, followed by two kettles of boiling water. Then flush the drain out with cold water for a couple of minutes. This will remove sludge that’s built up along the insides of the pipes.
- Use commercial drain cleaner when necessary. If a drain is draining slowly and baking soda doesn’t work, commercial drain cleaner usually does the trick. Just be sure to carefully follow the instructions on the packaging.
- Use the garbage disposal. Before flushing any food waste down the drain, grind it up with your garbage disposal. This will ensure all of the waste is small enough to easily pass through the pipes.
- Avoid flushing large or bulky objects down the drain. Instead, throw them away in a trash bin.
- Don’t flush oil or grease down the drain. Dispose of in an appropriate container.
Call T.Webber for Stubborn Clogs
Of course, it’s always possible that you still get a clog now and then, especially if you have a problem with tree roots blocking the drains. Be smart, and call T.Webber immediately. That way, you can minimize the chances of the pipes getting ruptured and water damage occurring.
Don’t hesitate: call T.Webber for stubborn drain clogs!