Thanksgiving Plumbing Disasters: 10 Steps to Help You Avoid Calling The Plumber!
Thanksgiving is one of the busiest times of years for plumbers and drain cleaning professionals. Sewage systems can become overrun with additional house guests, causing inconvenient backups. In preparing and cleaning up holiday meals, homeowners can also clog up their sinks, disposals and washing machines. Below are 10 steps to help you avoid calling a plumber this Thanksgiving.
- Do not under any circumstance dump grease directly down your drain. Grease solidifies when it cools and will solidify on the inside of your plumbing.
- Always collect excess grease in spare containers. Wait for it to solidify and then dispose of it.
- Never force large amounts of food down the garbage disposal at once. Give the unit plenty of time to grind the food before adding more.
- Don’t use your garbage disposal as a trash can. Turkey bones splinter (that’s why you can’t feed them to your dog), and fibrous vegetable skins can wind around the blade, causing the disposal to come to a screeching halt.
- Always turn on the water before starting the garbage disposal, and keep it running for a minute after turning off the disposal to move the waste through the pipes.
- Thanksgiving leftovers can do a number on your sink. Make sure all food scraps are scraped off plates before rinsing. Letting food remnants slide down your drain with cause backups in your kitchen pipes.
- In sticking with the same theme, also make sure dishes are scraped clean before placed in the dishwasher. Food scraps can collect in the dishwasher and prevent proper drainage.
- Keep the area around your sink and disposal clear; utensils and other kitchen tools can slip into your garbage disposal, bringing it to a screeching stop.
- Avoid leaving paper towels in bathrooms. If toilet paper supplies run empty, guests may reach for paper towels instead; which can stop up toilets.
- And finally, don’t offer to host Thanksgiving dinner if your sewage system tends to run slow. The sheer volume of additional guests can strain your system, and cause bathroom backups. There’s no quicker way to ruin a Thanksgiving dinner than having a main line backup in your home.
T.Webber Plumbing, Heating, Air & Electric provides complete drain cleaning solutions throughout the Hudson Valley including emergency rooter services, drain cleaning, hydro-jetting, snaking, and sewer camera inspections. Serving Dutchess, Putnam, Westchester, Orange & Ulster County.